Ron Paul is one of those rare politicians who make sense more often than not but find it hard to make a big enough impact to actually change the status-quo. Why? I don’t know, maybe this whole democracy thing is a delusion, maybe you always need some special interest group behind you to win an election.
I found this speech by Ron Paul, a very thoughtful speech indeed.
These are the most interesting points I found in the speech.
- What if we wake up one day and realize that terrorist threat is a predictable consequence of our meddling in the affairs of others.
- What if conservatives who preach smaller government wake up and realize that our interventionist foreign policy provides the greatest incentive to expand the government.
- What if we as a nation came to realize that the quest for empires eventually destroys all great nations.
- What if Christianity actually preaches peace and not preventive wars of aggression.
- What if diplomacy is found to be superior to bombs and bribes.